[vox] suggestions for webcam

Ken Bloom vox@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 24 Sep 2003 15:18:41 -0700

--PEIAKu/WMn1b1Hv9

I have a ViewQuest M318B for USB that I got for $5 from someone on=20
ucd.swap. It required an special kernel module (spca50x available from=20
spca50x.sf.net). I spent 4 hours learning the process of compiling a=20
custom module for my kernel, and found out that in general the process=20
should take no more than 15 minutes. The driver uses the Video for Linux=20
interface (also called v4l), and it lets you read data through the=20
/dev/video* devices.

I don't think the camera has such great image quality, I've noticed that=20
if I use the camera's driver on Windows then I get much better image=20
quality than I can on Linux, although I don't know how this works out=20
and what parts of the software are responsible for it (whether it's the=20
kernel module that would be responsible or whether it's the image=20
aquisition program - in windows it seems they are the same thing)

I've been using gqcam to read images from my camera (because I'm usually=20
looking for still shots), but I've tested that the camera works with=20
gnomemeeting too. (Gnomemeeting is said to be compatible with Microsoft=20
NetMeeting for your scattered relaties who use Windows).

I once tried video capture, and somehow ran across a bug in the kernel=20
module that instantly and completely rebooted the system. I have no clue=20
how to debug it or work around it.