[vox] Crashing Dells?

Jeff Newmiller vox@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 20 Sep 2003 13:19:03 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003, Robert G. Scofield wrote:

> I recently ran into someone with a brand new Dell Inspiron.  I asked him how
> he liked it, and he said he didn't like it.  He said it crashed all the time.
> I asked him how he knew it was the computer causing the crashes instead of
> the operating system.  He said that all the people he knows with Dell laptops
> have crashes, and that Dell has a reputation for having their laptops crash.
>
> I've never heard that.  And no one on this list serv has mentioned it when
> people ask for laptop recommendations.  So I am now asking whether anyone
> here has had a problem with crashing Dells.

I have been using Dell laptops for years for my work machines.  Had one
hard disk crap out on me after a year (IBM I think it was).  Had one hinge
seize up and break.  That one occasionally overheated and froze up, but
laptops aren't really designed for 24/7 operation, so I didn't blame that
on the manufacturer. Have had some funky problems with certain keys on
this last one (Inspiron 4100) stopping working temporarily, but since it
is running Win2k most of the time I just reboot and it starts working
again. ;)  I run it almost 24/7, except when I need to go somewhere.

I would guess your friend has software problems.  If not, his cpu cooler
might not be working.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing