[vox] x86-64: AMD, intel and compatibility

Hans W. Uhlig vox@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 05:23:15 -0700

On Wednesday 17 September 2003 11:24 pm, p@dirac.org wrote:
> hi all,
>
> tom's hardware hints that the new 3200+ is the last 32bit athlon (and
> it got _trounced_ in the reviews.).  since i won't be ready to build a
> new computer anytime soon, my next computer is probably going to be an
> AMD x86-64 machine.  that's kind of a scary thought.

Intel is going to be offering a 32 bit arcitecture for the forseeable futur=
e,=20
An article mentioned that they are making the push for 32 bit in business=20
only to begin with, AMD is going full force. AMD's 64 bit arcitecture is a =
32=20
bit interface with a 64 bit mode much like the old IA32 was a 16 bit=20
interface with a 32 bit mode... for proper memory access. Eventually=20
the 16 bit mode will be dropped off and 64 will be left for when 128 comes =
out

> so i've been wondering about these questions...
>
> if the itanium-1 isn't x86-32 compatible, and the itanium-2 is very slow
> at x86-32 compatibility, how does intel propose to stay in business?
> are they really banking that we'll all throw away our 32 bit software?

no they are providing support for a 64 bit OS and a 32 bit emulator
think OSX/OS9

> are the AMD x86-64 systems really supposed to achieve 100% 32bit
> software compatible?

theoretically

> and what about hardware?  can i just stuff all my PCI and ISA cards into
> a motherboard designed for an AMD x86-64?  IDE stuff?  SCSI cards?  the
> works?

PCI yes, ISA - very few modern boards take these now. IDE(most first and=20
second edition board will probobly support EIDE PC133 and SATA. Server boar=
ds
will support SCSI Raid or your scsi card.

> pete

< Hans

=2D --=20
Hans W. Uhlig         "Life is a long and lonely road,
deathguard@yahoo.com      Bring a Friend."
Technical Associate
Staples Inc.

GnuPG:
=46ingerprint: 4B8F A504 83E3 8D24 4079  8932 C317 A820 4E33 A20F
Public Key:  http://purple.worldforge.org/~huhlig/deathguard.asc