[vox] Verisign resolves unregistered .COM, .NET domains

Bill Kendrick vox@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 02:24:08 -0700

Holy CRAP!  (Or should, I say, "hloycrapp.com"? ;^) )

Some reports  (thanks to news.google.com, of course) ...

  Salon - "Thanks, VeriSign, for breaking the Internet"
  http://www.salon.com/tech/col/leon/2003/09/17/verisign/index_np.html

  The Register - "All your Web typos are belong to us"

  CNET - "VeriSign redirects error pages"
  http://news.com.com/2100-1032-5077530.html

  ZDNet/Australia - "VeriSign slammed for helping spammers"
  http://www.zdnet.com.au/newstech/communications/story/0,2000048620,20278673,00.htm

  Slashdot - "Resolving Everything: VeriSign Adds Wildcards"
  http://slashdot.org/articles/03/09/16/0034210.shtml?mode=nocomment

I didn't like the idea, but I also didn't realize the implications
until I started reading the avalanche of comments on Slashdot...
Mail clients not being able to 'do the right thing', broken spam filtering,
insane hell for network admins trying to track down problems, etc.

:^P