[vox] LUGOD's own Linux test certificate

Steven Peck vox@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 12:56:05 -0700

Some of the tests I saw referenced by others were the A+ and Linux+.
Both of these tests are designed to demonstrate 0-6 months experience in
an industry with a given product.  The A+ is used by HW venders(Dell,
HP, IBM) as a base level "I have seen a motherboard" level cert required
for the vender warranette certifications in break/fix repair shops.

Such programs are a pain to admin.  A set of online questions/answers
posted to LUGOD's web site would probably be beneficial of area's that
people so intested could research and study on for themselves.

I view certifications as a roadmap of what to study in a vender's
product line.  It is not necessarily how products will be used, but it
is important to know how some think they should be used.  In this
manner, you can account for things you didn't setup, or your setups can
reflect standards that others will be able to troubleshoot later.

In todays market, certifications are an indicator, not a be all end all.
However, 'sometimes' when there is a choice between two candidates who
are equal otherwise (interview, resume, experience) certifications can
be a tie breaker.  The Linux certification market is not mature enough
to rely on that though. =20

The best use of the certification track(IMHO) is as a personal
roadmap/study guide to stretch your self and your abilities.  During the
study process you may come across ideas that you would not normally
apply to your environment.  Now you may never use that process, or it
may be better than what you are doing.  But at least you were exposed to
that idea once and so will be familiar with it when you encountered it
again in the workplace.

A more relevant Linux cert would probably be the Red Hat Certified
Engineer.  Because of it's commercial install base.  It's all a wash if
you have the experience, however, as one person I know put it.
'Nobody limits their potential employment by obtaining certifications.'

The best trick, is to arrange it so that you do not pay for your
certification tests yourself.

-sp

Reference:
http://www.comptia.com/certification/linux/default.asp
CompTIA Linux+ Certification
The CompTIA Linux+ certification is a new standard of competency for
technicians with six-months experience installing, operating and
maintaining Linux operating systems.

http://www.comptia.com/certification/a/default.asp
CompTIA A+ Certification
The CompTIA A+ certification is the industry standard validating the
vendor-neutral skills expected of an entry-level computer technician.

http://www.eweek.com/print_article/0,3668,a=3D38793,00.asp
Article