[vox] Search engine spammers have crossed the line...

Ryan Castellucci vox@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 13 Sep 2003 22:04:20 -0700

On Saturday 13 September 2003 07:59 pm, Shwaine wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Sep 2003, Ryan Castellucci wrote:
> >
> > Do not click any of the hits on the following in a browser with
> > javascript enabled....
> >
> > http://www.google.com/search?q=3Dlugod+site%3Ajoeydipaoloaids.org
> >
> > What is this crap? Aparnetly dozens of sites like this are listing
> > "LUGOD: vox mailing list archives" as a keyword, in an attempt to spa=
> > google search results...
> >
> > This has to be stopped....
>
> If you use a plain Google search (without the site), the first several
> pages are almost all relevant to this group (the main site, meeting
> announcements, etc). There are a few which mention Lugod being a family
> name. It's also apparently the name of a place. And apparently also a w=
ord
> in another language(s), I believe from the Phillipines, as judging from
> these pages (the last of which also has an English translation of the
> story):>
>
> http://mozcom.com/~cagape/beho.htm
> http://www.apostolicnetwork.com/dspadua/espiritu.html
> http://likhaan_online.tripod.com/08242001archivesite/lit13-9.html
>
> A little deeper Googling turns up "joy" or "pleasure" as a meaning of
> "lugod" in Tagalog, so that may explain the porn. Links:
>
> http://home.wanadoo.nl/francis.vanstaa/E2B/e.htm
> http://palugod.tripod.com/palor.html
> http://www.foreignword.com/cgi-bin/engtag.cgi?language=3Dtageng&termbox=
=3Dlugod
>&B1=3DSearch

Ah, thanks you for the explination, this does somewhat explain this.

> So my theory is they are trying to get people who speak those language(=
s)
> and since the plain "lugod" search turns up so many references to "vox
> mailing list" and other things related to this club, they put that phra=
se
> in the pages (along with a ton of other phrases intended for a similar
> purpose) to get them higher priority in the ranking algorithms. It's a
> classic way to trick older search engines into bumping the page result =
up.
> It doesn't work very well on newer engines, but doesn't mean those sort=
 of
> pages stop using the old tricks. At least with Google, you don't start
> getting this stuff on a "lugod vox" search until the 7th page, but that
> search does show you how predominant this trick is with those sort of
> pages.

I had searched for lugod and ken bloom (I'd seen one of his usenet postin=
gs,=20
and thought that he was a lugod member) and got the previously mentioned=20
garbage on the first page. (hit 8)

- --=20
On pgp.mit.edu, import with `gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key 72177=
BC7`