[vox] FWD: [alerts@action.eff.org: Sign our Petition to Stop the RIAA Lawsuits!]

Rob Rogers vox@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 14 Sep 2003 00:00:27 -0400

On Sat, Sep 13, 2003 at 05:47:37AM -0700, p@dirac.org wrote:
> On Fri 12 Sep 03,  5:26 PM, R. Douglas Barbieri <doug@dooglio.net> said:
>
> 3. buy indie music directly.  i've always been into alternative and
>    seattle music.  my favorites are:
>
>    http://netmusic.com/insightrecords/   <--- i love their artists
>    http://www.subpop.com/                <--- nirvana's first label
>
>    if you personally can vouch for other indie labels of different
>    genres, i'd love to hear about them.

Not really a label, more an indie distributer. http://www.cdbaby.com
Here's a bit from the "About" page.

About CD Baby
 Who/What are we?

- CD Baby is a little online record store that sells CDs by independent
  musicians.

- [In.de.pen.dent: (adj.) Not having sold one's life, career, and
  creative works over to a corporation.]

- We're just a few people (details here) in a cool Portland, Oregon, CD
  warehouse that looks like a playground. We listen to every CD we sell
  before we sell it, so we can help you find other albums you'll like.
  We only sell CDs that come directly from the musicians. No
  distributors. Musicians send us CDs. We warehouse them, sell them to
  you, and pay the musicians directly.

- Cool thing: in a regular record deal or distribution deal, musicians
  only make $1-$2 per CD, if they ever get paid by their label. When
  selling through CD Baby, musicians make $6-$12 per CD, and get paid
  weekly.

- In business, and thriving, since March 1998. We're the 2nd-largest
  seller of independent CDs on the web, 2nd only to Amazon.
[end paste]

The actually numbers I've heard from someone who uses CDBaby and other
distributers was their CDs sell for $10 on CDBaby and they get $7 of it.
Other distributors sell it for $14 or more and they get $5-6 of it.