[vox] "Basic Video Game Development" presentation

Bill Kendrick vox@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 11 Sep 2003 20:14:40 -0700

I was invited to speak at my alma matter, Sonoma State University, during
their weekly Computer Science Colloquium presentations.

I did my talk this afternoon, and the topic was "Basic Video Game Development."
Using SDL I showed the attendees the basics of dealing with events, things
to think about when developing games, and why "classic" style games are
a good place to start, and why there's till pertinent today (mostly because
they're fun, but they're also the perfect style for cellphones and PDAs ;^) )

I've placed my slides up on the LUGOD website (I hope noone minds; I've put
other slides/handouts from talks I've done at other LUGs up there, and
I figured it wasn't too off-topic, as I'm using LGPL'd libraries available
for Linux ;^) )

Anyway, the slides are online (in both the original OpenOffice.org 1.0 format,
as well as in PDF format, exported by OOo 1.1 beta 2).

There was also a very simple game that I used to demonstrate (chicken
crossing the road game; think 'Frogger,' but different).  The source and
data (graphics/sounds) are available in both .tar.gz and .zip format.
(The source is also there in plaintext, for perusing in a browser.)

  http://www.lugod.org/presentations/ssu-game-talk/

Enjoy!  I had a great time doing the talk.  Now I'm late for an appointment
in Roseville! :^(