[vox] For the Why Not MS page.

John McDonnell vox@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 4 Sep 2003 09:12:25 -0700 (PDT)

Another reason to avoid MS

Followup pointed to here:
http://www.mhudack.com/blog/archives/000294.html

--
 . johnmc@ | microb.us  - +1-707-237-5271 (home) .
 . http:// | johnmc.org - +1-408-386-3549 (cell) .
--

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 20:26:28 +0100
From: Robbie Scourou

GRRR!

Just got a lovely piece of spam at work, checked my inbox and outlook
in its infinite wisdom automatically previewed the email. Hidden in the
source was an <object> tag which grabbed a .hta file[0] from a website,
which then proceeded to download and install SuperBar[1], sticking
links to porn sites all over my machine. Not amused.

Has anyone else come across this?

It's scary how the firewall, Norton AV, Messagelabs Virus, Spam and
Porn filters all counted for dick in this case. I don't want to use
Outlook, unfortunately business needs and IT sense rarely match.

Glad i switched to mac at home.

--
robbie

[0] I managed to grab a copy of the source of the .hta, and the
comments mentioned some guy name dzzie - prob the developer who found
the hole.
[1] http://www.pestpatrol.com/PestInfo/db/s/superbar.asp