[vox] New LUG starting; advice sought

vox@lists.lugod.org vox@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 15:26:03 -0700

On Mon 20 Oct 03,  3:02 PM, Nicole TWN <ana.ng@tmbg.org> said:
> Hi everyone
>
> Aerospace Corp, where I work, has lots of employee clubs.  There's a ski
> club and a scuba club and a ham radio club and... and now there's a LUG
> starting up!  Hurrah!  I've had such a blast in LUGOD that I plan to be
> active in this LUG, too.
>
> This new LUG will have it easy in some respects--we'll have a place to
> meet, for starters, and what with all the geeks around, I think we'll be
> able to find guest speakers.  What else will we need?  What separates a
> really good LUG from one that sputters and dies after meeting 2?
>
> --nicole twn

the #2 thing that leads to LUG success: people.

you have to have good members who are active on the mailing lists and
enjoy (or don't mind) helping other people.  i hate to name names, only
because i don't want to leave anybody out, but as an example, the
mailing list presence of people like mike simons, mark kim, ryan
castlucci, jeff newmiller, bill kendrick, etc help make LUGOD special.

you have to have people willing to help out at events.  like rusty
minden, kevin murakoshi and ken bloom.

you have to have a core group of people who are good friends.  all the
people i named above, along with many more lugodders (like yourself,
doug, henry, stephen, etc) would be close and valued friends even if
lugod didn't exist.  lugod was simply the "vehicle" by which we all met.
:)  to this day, i miss geoff, matt, drew, and all the others who have
moved on from lugod.

but the #1 thing is leadership.  you have to have at least one person
who's willing to make the LUG a priority, time and effort wise.  this is
the hard part.  i don't know about bill, but when i was president, i
could easily spend 5 hours a day on lugod.  but even when i wasn't
spending insane hours on lugod, i'd say there was NEVER a day that went
by that i didn't spend at *least* an hour doing something for lugod.

judging by bill's public emails and the activity on vox-officers, i'd
say bill is putting in equal, if not more, time than i did.

also, bill and i found a web page that rick moen wrote very useful,
although i think we found it after LUGOD was obviously a success and it
was like "yeah, we do that.  and that.  and that.  hey, he must be
talking about LUGOD!".

pete