[vox] [OT] Old PCs == security breach?

Bill Kendrick vox@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 12:33:10 -0700

[Rant]

I was over at NYTimes reading an article linked-to from Slashdot, and I see
this flashy HP ad on the right.

Apparently, software isn't the reason for security problems these days.
It's old hardware!  "Don't let old hardware make you a statistic", it says.

"Safeguard your information with the HP [model XYZ] series.  Upgrade now."

Uhh... I'm guessing a Pentium 1 running Linux or OpenBSD would be a
HELLUVALOT safer than a multi-gigahertz system running a Microsoft OS.
(See: http://www.lugod.org/microsoft/?filter=virus , for example...)

What's sad is, there must be people out there that believe this kind of
misinformation.

Now, no knock against HP or their hardware.  Just against Evil Marketing. ;)