[vox] What would you do with...?

vox@lists.lugod.org vox@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 01 Oct 2003 16:40:10 -0700

On 1 Oct 2003 at 15:28, Richard Crawford wrote:
> So my question is:  if you had two spare perfectly functioning computers
> (a laptop and a tower) sitting around your house, what would you do with
> them?

Tower:
Get one of the mutha-fuggin' huge hard drives they have out these days and turn it into
your house MP3 jukebox!

Back when I lived in one room, I used to do this, sort of.  I bought a widget that had a
headphone jack on one end and the twin audio jacks for hi-fi systems on the other end
(got it at RatShack), plugged the headphone end into the soundcard, the audio jacks end
into the hi-fi, and I was good to go.

Yours would be more complex, but only slightly.  You'd set it up as a headless terminal,
one NIC, very lightweight Linux install. Rip all your CDs to mp3 and copy 'em on over.
Park the box near your stereo system and control mpg123 (or whatever) remotely.

Slightly less cool but much more practical... do you have a firewall yet?

--nicole twn