[vox] question for PDA users

Rick Moen vox@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 1 Oct 2003 11:27:40 -0700

Quoting p@dirac.org (p@dirac.org):

> a friend recently told me that he went from a graffiti based PDA to a
> mini keyboard based PDA (basically he went from palm to a treo).
>
> he said he liked the keyboard much better: the keyboard is faster and
> more convenient than graffiti.
>
> i'm _only_ interested in hearing from people who have used both keyboard
> and graffiti based PDA's:  which input method do you think is faster and
> more convenient?

What I find really good is a third alternative:  I have a little folding
keyboard for my Palm V (that store in a case only slightly larger than
the Palm V itself), that is about as usable as most laptop keyboards,
i.e., you can pretty much type at full speed, and much faster than
Graffiti allows.

I've never used the Treo-style mini-keyboards, so can't comment on their
usability.  In my experience, you can get reasonable productivity with
Graffiti, but, for example, I've never gotten fast enough to take live
lecture notes that way.

The folding keyboards for Palms and the like can be found cheap on eBay.

--
Cheers,                    Higgledy-Piggledy / Kibo Ubiquitous,
Rick Moen                  Greps for his name in the / Happynet spool.