[vox] Presenters needed for 2004!

Bill Kendrick vox@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 04:07:01 -0800

2004 is around the corner (I'm STILL waiting for the monolith!), and it's
time for me to worry about finding speakers for our meetings!

Along with contacting people, organizations and companies outside of LUGOD
to come speak about their products, I also like to invite LUGOD members
themselves to come speak about their own projects, or software they enjoy
and know a lot about!  (LUGOD's Tim Riley showed off his "Appaserver" at
our last meeting, for example.)

Some topics we've been interested in hearing about include:

  MySQL
  Ximian Gnome
  BASH promt customization
  autoconf/automake
  Compiler design
  CVS
  Functional programming languages
  Tcl
  Gentoo
  Knoppix / Morphix
  procmail
  sendmail/smail/qmail
  Spam management
  Kernel hacking
  The Linux boot process
  Linux vs. other Unixes
  Linux vs. Windows
  Memory utilization under Linux
  Filesharing under Linux (Gnutella, BitTorrent, etc.)
  Messaging systems (IRC, ICQ, Jabber, talk)
  Web browser show-down!!!
  Windows under Linux (VMWare, Win4Lin, WINE; we've seen Crossover Office)
  Multiheaded displays
  Multimedia under Linux (DVD playback, burning; CD burning, MP3, OGG, etc.)
  Printing under Linux
  Basic Linux security
  ALSA (sound system)
  Getting help online (newbie-level talk)

If anyone here would like to present on one of these topics, or any OTHER
topic, please let me know!

If you know someone who we should contact to come speak (e.g., you're
neighbors with a guy who knows someone who can kidnap Linus Torvalds),
please contact me, too! :^)

And finally, of course, if you have any other ideas for topics we should
have at a meeting...  you guessed it!  Let me know! :^)

Thanks!  And happy pre-Thanksgiving, everyone!

-bill!
pr@lugod.org
http://www.lugod.org/