[vox] Outlaws redux

vox@lists.lugod.org vox@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 18 Nov 2003 23:11:29 -0800

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 05:23:14PM -0800, Rod Roark wrote:
> I'm a bit confused as to why it would first go to a legal
> department.  I would think that it's fundamentally a
> business decision (i.e., open up something you are not
> willing to spend money maintaining in the hope of getting
> community support, posiive PR and good will).  It was a
> decision that made sense to Netscape at one time.

Because all major business decisions (and most minor ones) have potentially legal ramifications. While it may seem obvious or trivial to folks on this list, issues of IP dilution, or investor fallout to a decision such as this will play heavily into their decisional calculus.

> I would ask who makes the business decisions.

Usually an entities general council (if in house) is the 2nd or 3rd ranked c-level officer in a company.  They *do* make the business decisions.