[vox] Strange things people believe

John McDonnell vox@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 12:44:58 -0800 (PST)

On the 12th day of November, Richard Crawford said to me:

> This morning I was told in no uncertain terms that Mozilla is owned by
> Netscape;

The Mozilla Project was bron inside Netscape, but was later spun off from
Netscape.

There is good info here:
http://www.gerbilbox.org/newzilla/index.php

> and since Netscape is owned by AOL, Mozilla only complies to whatever
> standards AOL decides to comply with, not with any W3C standards.

Netscape was bought by AOL. Around the same time (if my memory isn't
playing tricks on me... ), teh Mozilla project became a separate entity.
AOL does not own the Mozilla Project. Standards compliance has always been
one of the principal goals of the Mozilla Project.

johnmc.
--
 . johnmc@ | bucketchild.net - +1-707-237-5271 (home) .
 . http:// | johnmc.org      - +1-408-386-3549 (cell) .