[vox] RMS speaks out on Free SW in schools

Bill Kendrick vox@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 20:13:45 -0800

"Why schools should use exclusively free software"
http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=03/11/09/0228239

I liked this article a lot.  (Of course, I'm the author of a school-friendly
piece of Open Source, soooo ;^) )

Some of the more entertaining responses included a bit about how
computer classes teach "MS Word" and "MS Excel", whereas Drivers Training
isn't "Toyota Drivers Training" or "Honda Drivers Training," simply
because one or the other manufacturer is the most popular. ;^)

The other was from a tech coordinator for a small (140-student)
all-girls school:

  "Two years ago, I stood in front of an auditorium of non-plussed
  faculty and asked then who was willing to give up their job so I could
  give their paycheck to Microsoft? That's how much we were looking at
  just for [MS]Office."

Ouch :)  I doubt anyone argued against OpenOffice.org after THAT question ;)