[vox] Rebate hassles [was Free Stuff]

vox@lists.lugod.org vox@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 1 Nov 2003 19:59:40 -0800

On Sat 01 Nov 03,  7:55 PM, Mark K. Kim <markslist@cbreak.org> said:
> On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 p@dirac.org wrote:
>
> > maybe i'm just dumb, but rebates tend not to come for me.  i've sent in
> > plenty.  certainly over 20 with all the trips i used to make to frys.
> > i'd be surprised if i got 5 back.
>
> I always get brands I trust when I get something with a rebate.  Maybe
> that has something to do with it?

well, maybe.  i tend to go after the cheap stuff.   ;-)

> > really, i think they do tend to rely on the "it's not worth my time"
> > notion.  you can think of all kinds of demographics to explain why some
> > people get their rebates and some don't.
>
> Now I have a new theory: Maybe it's my last name.  Maybe people just see
> my last name and go, "Man~ those Korean people never let go of rebates.
> We better send him a rebate."  Time to change your name!!

that's certainly possible!

they usually ask you a billion questions like what's your income, how
many computers do you own, blah blah blah.

i could certainly imagine some poor undergrad actually spending the 15
minutes on the phone, while an IT professional (earmarked by salary, the
number of computers, highest level of educationa ttained, etc) would
probably hear an automated VMS and go "forget it.  i'm willing to pay
the friggin $20!".

> BTW, sometimes people can mistake the rebates as junk mail.  You've never
> done that, right?

heh.  i won't say it's impossible.   i hope not!   :-)

pete