[vox] Rebate hassles [was Free Stuff]

Tim Riley vox@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 01 Nov 2003 18:13:10 -0800

"Mark K. Kim" wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Nov 2003, Rod Roark wrote:
>
> > Common sense tells us that rebates are offered when the
> > vendor expects get out of paying many or most of them.
> > Otherwise they could just lower the price and save
> > themselves, their retailers and their customers a lot of
> > hassle.
>
> Not necessarily.  The vendor gets money from the interest from holding
> onto your money even if they do give you a rebate.
>
> And even if they do "get off" of paying most of their customers, if you're
> diligent enough to follow through with the rebate then I'm sure you'll be
> one of the few that'll be getting the rebate

I don't believe Samsung ever intended to issue my $100 monitor rebate request
when
I sent in all the requested information (including a blood sample ... not
really).
After all the work I did, they sent me a terse email saying they couldn't
read
the UPC symbol. They said for further clarification, call this toll number.
The
customer service representative immediately put me on hold for 3 minutes,
then
he came back with the same message on the email. Did I mention this was
Samsung?

<snip>