[vox] SCO suing IBM over their Linux activity

Mark K. Kim vox@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 30 May 2003 21:26:29 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 30 May 2003, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> is there a way that someone can force SCO into a court to either prove
> its claims or shut up forever?

Can IBM sue SCO for making accusations without proof?

> this whole thing gives me a sense of deja-vu.  i don't think many people
> (other than the really misinformed) REALLY believed anything catastrophic
> would happen.  by the time 2000 rolled around, i was just happy to not
> read about it in the news anymore...

It reminds me more of the BSD vs. UNIX thing.  That actually had some real
issues that could be argued about.  If SCO wants to sue IBM then so be it,
but surely SCO can't sue Linus, can it?  If IBM had stolen code, Linus had
no way of knowing one of the contributors had stolen code.  Would you sue
the head of the Red Cross if someone donated stolen money to them?  Come
on!

Worst case scenario -- Linux kernel code gets revised.  Worst worst case
scenario that can't happen but wouldn't be so bad even if it did -- we all
ditch Linux and use BSD.  LUGOD changes its name to BUGOD.

One possible scenario I like -- Someone points out UNIX contains GPL code
so SCO is forced to open-source the entire UNIX code.  Take that!!  Ha!!!

-Mark :)

--
Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/