[OT] Innovative [was Re: [vox] SCO suing IBM over their Linux activity]

Peter Jay Salzman vox@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 30 May 2003 16:58:13 -0700

On Fri 30 May 03,  4:45 PM, Micah J. Cowan <micah@cowan.name> said:
> On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 04:31:27PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > of course, we're all jaded now and ecommerce is extremely blase, but i
> > maintain that the person who first thought of selling dog food on the
> > net was innovative.
>
> I hear what you're saying, but I'm not sure I'd qualify it in such
> granularity. I would call the first person to sell *anything* via the
> internet "innovative" (IIRC, there was someplace you could order pizza
> over the net, and I think that was before the Web), but being the
> first person to sell a particular class of items wouldn't seem
> innovative to me. If you took that to the highest-granularity version,
> we'd be calling the first person to sell a pizza with *anchovies*
> innovative, and the first person to sell a pizza with anchovies for
> *$5.50*... even though they fit the technical definition in the
> dictionary, by introducing "something new into the environment", I
> would reserve the term "innovative" for quality values of "new" above
> a certain threshold. :)

i also hear what you're saying, and think i have proper reply.

i remember watching the net grow up and every time we saw something new
on the net we were like  "now you can buy *THAT* on the net?  when will
it ever end?".

with DYI divorces, quickie marriages, penis enlargement and the selling
of an entire town, so far, it hasn't ended...   ;-)

but at some point, you become so inundated with ecommerce, a new site,
even one that previously wasn't represented before, is just like your
"pizza with anchovies" analogy (i liked the analogy).

so yeah, i agree that beyond a certain threshold, it's not innovation
any longer.   :-)

pete