[vox] Interesting thing i read today

Mike Simons vox@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 30 May 2003 15:36:27 -0400

--yH1ZJFh+qWm+VodA

On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 11:13:15AM +0200, Edwin P. Groot wrote:
> Playing devil's advocate, how does SCO go about suing the
> developers of the Linux kernal??

  Well they sue Linus for starters, it is really quite easy to track
down who to sue if you want kernal developers.  If they are suing on=20
patent grounds it should be easy.  If on copyright of code that was
not publicly published that is a bit harder to prove...

>      I don't know anything about System V code making its way into the
> Linux kernal, but my rebuttal to this suit would be in the history of
> Linux.

> Linux is a derivative of MINIX, which was developed in the early
> 80's for the IBM PC by an operating systems professor.  MINIX was built
> from scratch so that UNIX could be studied without infringing on AT&Ts
> copyrights.  Linus Torvalds took the idea of MINIX and modified it for the
> 386 CPU to take advantage of its virtual machine model.  If anything, Andy
> Tannebaum should be suing Linus for portions of MINIX being in the Linux
> kernal!

Edwin,

  As ME said... Linux is not derived from MINIX source it was written=20
from scratch.  Very early versions required you to have Minux running in=20
order to install.  I can find dozens of links that say this, but I'm not
one I think can be authoritative.

  However, if you would like to see SCO's view on the history of Linux...=
=20
it is *very* interesting:

  http://www.sco.com/scosource/unixtree/unixhistory01.html

  ... Follow the green dotted line from Unix TTS V7 to Linux 0.01.

  It is unclear to me why the lines jump around so much, but it is clear=20
they think that Linus used some of the Unix TTS V7 code (Jan 1979)
when he started Linux in Aug 1991.

  Unfortunately I can't pull up the UNIX History Graphing Project's
page to compare...

--=20

--yH1ZJFh+qWm+VodA

--yH1ZJFh+qWm+VodA--