[vox] Interesting thing i read today

Edwin P. Groot vox@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 30 May 2003 11:13:15 +0200

At 01:51 PM 5/29/03 +0530, you wrote:
>http://www.sco.com/scosource/letter_to_linux_customers.html
>
>You think this could have any Impact on Linux Development Efforts.

     No, because they are suing IBM, which I suspect has a pretty tough
legal division.  Playing devil's advocate, how does SCO go about suing the
developers of the Linux kernal??
     I don't know anything about System V code making its way into the
Linux kernal, but my rebuttal to this suit would be in the history of
Linux.  Linux is a derivative of MINIX, which was developed in the early
80's for the IBM PC by an operating systems professor.  MINIX was built
from scratch so that UNIX could be studied without infringing on AT&Ts
copyrights.  Linus Torvalds took the idea of MINIX and modified it for the
386 CPU to take advantage of its virtual machine model.  If anything, Andy
Tannebaum should be suing Linus for portions of MINIX being in the Linux
kernal!

Edwin