[vox] vanity - getting a higher google ranking

ME vox@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 29 May 2003 09:20:11 -0700 (PDT)

Peter Jay Salzman said:
> i'm curious -- is there a way to get my page higher ranked than this asp
> page?   after all, my page actually contains "system.map".  their page
> contains "system map".   is google treating the "." in my search query
> as a wildcard character?

Sure. Some things that I have found help: (#3 here is one of the strongest.)

1) Increase frequency of keyword.
2) Include keyword as part of the html TITLE
3) Create more pages on other sites that link to your site. (Sending mail
to lists that get archived by google can help with this too.

Things that I guess will help: (No direct evidence)
Use Bold, Italics, font size=+, and h1 tags to emphasize the keyword.
Use the meta search tags to include keywords for search engines.
Use a kind of link exchange program to get your page linked randomly from
many sites.
Do several searches from multiple IP on the keywords that you want to have
higher ranking for, and then select the "view cached copy" link on google
for your linked page.
When you search for your keywords from google, be sure that the last link
you click on at google includes the google result page that includes your
page. (Then avoid a new keyword search for a while in case they use
session-based searches.)
They may use the idea, "The last place you go when looking for a search is
the place that answered your question."
Also, they may use, "If the last place you go is also the first place you
go, then that is a higher rank."
However, they links they provide are not passed through goole to know
which ones you click upon (except for cached copies, etc.)

I have mentally built the above ideas for improving hits on google based
on experience and trial and error.
Try going to goolg and do a search for:
ISO OSI 7 layer model
or
ISO OSI 7 Layer Reference Model

And see how it turns out. When looking threough my web logs, I see I get a
lot of traffic to this page. Also, I can see from the ref-URL that there
are many places that have links to it, and examples of bookmarks and
bookmark-page systems that includes it. I can also see references from
major telcom companies who appear to have private networks that have
collections of bookmarks for courses they teach in-house that link to it.