[vox] CNET Query: SCO/Microsoft deal phasing Linux users?

ME vox@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 21 May 2003 19:16:14 -0700 (PDT)

We had a brief discussion on NBLUG on our list a while back.
( archived :-)

http://www.nblug.org/pipermail/talk/2003-May/thread.html

First message:
http://www.nblug.org/pipermail/talk/2003-May/003876.html
(click "next message" to follow the few posts made on it.)

It really came down to this:

SCO published and released a copy of Linux under the GNU license.

The GNU License is rather "open" - leaving SCO in a poor position to argue
their case (IANAL, and this was not from one of my posts.)

If the license leads to a purchase of SCO outright, there are likely
issues that may cause SEC to step in (IANAL)

MS appeared to only be licensing use from SCO.

(I participate on the LUGOD lists but am more active in attending meeting
with NBLUG.)

-ME