[vox] WEF, Day 2 report!

Bill Kendrick vox@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 11 May 2003 19:15:31 -0700

On Sun, May 11, 2003 at 02:31:55PM -0700, Robert G. Scofield wrote:

> I think things would have been better had you had a big sign.  I looked for
> you guys Saturday and couldn't find you.  I was thinking of going over and
> yelling bad things about Linux and good things about Windows like I did at
> the Co-op that one time.  I looked for you on Sunday for quite a while before
> I found you.   But I didn't cause any trouble because Mike was seriously
> trying to help someone. Turns out you were about 12 feet away from the booth
> where I was working.  You need to make yourselves more noticeable.  It seemed
> as though you were part of another organization's booth.

Yeah, we were a little crowded, honestly. :^/  Notice how we had:

  Solar panel guys  |  LUGOD  |  Davis Energy Efficiency Project

all in a row...?

Well _we_ would be asked if the solar panel guys' solar panel was part of DEEP
:^)

It was alright, though.  I think the people who were truly curious (when they
saw computers at WEF) would walk up, look kind of confused, and then we'd
reel them in with:  "Are you interested in Linux?"  :^)

I agree that a big sign would be nice.  Unfortunately, the only real place
we could have put it was on the front of table, so it would be blocked half
the time by bystanders. :^/

Last year, when we were on the concrete, I had a nice big "LUGOD" sign with
pictures from meetings and other events (the same one I brought to many LUGOD
meetings since then, but not recently), and we bought a easle to put it on.

Sadly, I broke it one day when it was in my trunk, and I've yet to replace it.

All in all, though, I think all three days went pretty well.  We seriously
depleted the collection of Knoppix discs we had, which is, of course, a
good thing.  (Except that we need tons more before this Wednesday for GTC!)

After GTC, Nicole Carlson and I are going to write an article (for some
website like NewsForge or LinuxAndMaine) which compares and contrasts the
WEF event and the GTC event, and discusses the different ways we go about
'selling' Linux to the attendees. :^)

-bill!