[vox] NT on the mainframe?

Peter Jay Salzman vox@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 8 May 2003 16:37:47 -0700

On Thu 08 May 03,  7:23 PM, Mike Simons <msimons@moria.simons-clan.com> opined:
> On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 04:13:36PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > i did a few minutes of googling, and here's a summary of what i found:
> >
> > however, it works so poorly, that microsoft is quietly dropping support
>
>   I heard support for NT was dropped due to not enough demand... after
> all even Redhat dropped support for the Alpha and Sparc ports.
>
>   I agree that NT is a discontinued product, and MS is pushing people
> onto other product names... but the point was can one run windows on
> a mainframe.  The answer appears to be no.

yup.  that's what i was hoping you'd get from my post (i think most of
us know that NT is a dead end product.  i was just trying to be complete
in case someone wasn't aware of it).

> > i believe a few of these articles should be on the "why not MS page"
> > if bill is still updating that thing.
>
>   Bill certainly updates the website... send him the more interesting
>   URLs.  He likes bringing these sorts of things up at the demos.

also, those "we're not patching bugs for NT" articles can be found at
slashdot too.  i remember funny commentary on this from lwn.net as well.

pete