[vox] OS/2 and Linux, why has IBM changed?

Ken Herron vox@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 08 May 2003 10:33:22 -0700

--On Thursday, May 08, 2003 10:09:27 -0700 Kevin Hooke
<kevin@kevinhooke.com> wrote:

> Why didn't OS/2 take off? In my opinion, lack of support from IBM
> itself, and probably a screwed up relationship with Microsoft regarding
> the OS/2 kernel which was co-written with Microsoft - incidently, the
> same code that later became the NT kernel... :-) I bet there was some
> legal pressure somewhere regarding this arrangement that prevented IBM
> from fully pushing OS/2.

You may remember that when Win95 was first released, IBM was virtually
the last PC maker to sign a contract to sell PCs preloaded with Win95.
The negotiations lasted until something like 11:30 the night before the
day of the release.

During the MS antitrust trial, some information about these negotiations
came out. It seems OS/2 was the big sticking point. IBM wanted to sell
PCs preloaded with OS/2, but MS wasn't having any of that. MS absolutely
refused to let IBM sell PCs with Win95 unless IBM agreed not to sell PCs
with OS/2. Given the difference in market demand, IBM didn't have much of
a choice.

--
Kenneth Herron  Kherron@newsguy.com     916-366-7338