[vox] Wrong List: Looking for Part Time IT Consultant

Micah J. Cowan vox@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 7 May 2003 11:17:26 -0700

On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 10:47:57PM -0700, Michael Wenk wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 May 2003 04:05 pm, Mike Simons wrote:
> > On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 03:59:27PM -0700, Micah J. Cowan wrote:
> > > Speaking of which: I was just thinking earlier today that it's a shame
> > > that non-Linux-oriented jobs now have no real place; we used to allow
> > > them on vox...
> > >
> > > I realize that we are, first and foremost, a Linux-oriented group; but
> > > still, there may come job opportunities which I become aware of and
> > > feel that a lot of the folks at LUGOD would love to hear about,
> > > despite the fact that it may not be Linux-related.
> >
> > Micah,
> >
> >   Glad you brought up the discussion...  I'll hold off expressing my
> > opinion until other people have had a chance to reply.
>

> Speaking as someone who has been unemployed for a while now, I personally
> cannot afford to pick and choose.  I personally think that any IT or CS
> related jobs should be allowed on vox-jobs.  Its not like there's 30-40 posts
> a day, and as I said, I cannot afford to be choosy.  You can also look at it
> this way.  If someone gets the job and has a linux background, then they have
> the ability to preach the gospel from inside(poor choice of words, but I
> don't feel very well, and am trouble thinking of a better way of putting
> that.)  I'm sure you know what I mean.

This is exactly what I was thinking. And yes, you might find it on a
MS jobs site, but the chances of you finding a job are much better if
a friend at Lugod was able to suggest it, because he thought of all
his friends at Lugod who are qualified.

> > > Could we change the
> > > rules so that non-Linux job opportunities are okay, but the
> > > subject-line has to be flagged or something?
> >
> > - Which list are you suggesting non-Linux related jobs should be allowed?
>
> Personally, I cannot afford to ignore ANY job no matter if its via vox list or
> the purple jellybean mailing list.  But I can see why people may not want to
> see this on vox, so my vote is for vox-jobs...

Ditto here.

Believe me, I totally understand what you folks are saying who would
prefer to keep vox-jobs Linux, or at least UNIX related. I had
personally hoped never to be forced into a position where I had to
take a non-UNIX job, but here I am... I know that there are at least a
couple others in Lugod who feel the same way: much rather take a UNIX
job, but with the way the market is, will take what they can take.

Of course, if the final concensus is that we should leave things as
they are, I'll be totally fine with that. But I do think, if it comes
to a vote, we should let those who are currently without work have a
weightier voice.

My $0.02,
Micah