[vox] Home Plug Network?

Robert G. Scofield vox@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 30 Mar 2003 11:24:07 -0800

I've been wanting to get DSL, and network two computers to share the DSL
connection.  Given the location of computers, networking by Ethernet cabling
is not practical.  For that reason I've been thinking of a wireless network.

But I've just read a statement from a person who works for a company that
sells hardware for both wireless and home plug networks.  He says that they
hardly get any tech support questions from the people buying home plug gear.
And as long as you're not in an apartment, it seems as though security is
better with home plug as opposed to wireless.  While home plug is slower than
wireless (until later this year) it is still faster than the DSL connection
itself, and so speed is not really a consideration.

Does anyone here have any thoughts on choosing between a wireless network and
a home plug network?

Thank you.

Bob