[vox] [OT] Product governing laws?

Mark K. Kim vox@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 03:47:29 -0800 (PST)

Howdy...

This may be just way off the wall, but I have a question about product
governing laws.

Let's say I have a product, say an electronic toy in a plastic housing, in
Japan and want to bring it over to U.S.  In Japan, let's say the product
meets the ST standards (the body that releases toy safety standards in
Japan.)  The toy is electronic, with an embedded processor, plastic
housing, cables, etc.  What standards should it meet to be brought over to
the U.S.?  I think if it meets the UL standards then electrically it's
safe.  FCC standards is also required so it doesn't emit any radiation,
right?  What about shapes, sizes, material composition, etc?  What
standards should one follow for those?  Is there a governing organization?
What about other issues that I haven't thought about?

It'd be really great if you know the specific document numbers, but any
info would be great.  Thanks!!

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim