[vox] high school summer course on game development

Peter Jay Salzman vox@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 01:47:12 -0800

begin Bill Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net>
> On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 01:03:20AM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > figured some of you *coughbillcough* might be interested in seeing what
> > summer camp for geeks looks like these days:
> >
> > http://www.cosmos.uci.edu/cluster5.html
>
> Dude, where do I sign up?
>
> (To teach, silly ;) )

heh.   :)

> What kind of credentials does one need?  Does it pay, or is it volunteer?

i'm not exactly sure of the credentials, to be honest.  they hint that
instructors must by college professors.  teaching fellows (who assist
the instructors) must be high school teachers.

to be honest (and this is a little embarrasing) despite the fact that
i've been a "teaching assistant" for cosmos for 2 years now (going on
3), i'm not exactly sure of my *official* designation.   i always came
into work two or three times a week, and got paid extremely well.

whatever it is, there's not much difference between whatever i am and a
teaching fellow.  in last year's robotics class, i taught the teaching
fellow just as much programming and electronics as i did the high school
students.   :-/

my only real credential is that i'm a grad student, and that really
doesn't count for much.  the class i taught last year is:

http://www.cosmos.ucdavis.edu/2002/cluster5_description.html

the other thing is that the courses are developed by the professors
themselves.  for instance, if you managed to become a teaching assistant
for the game development class, you'd have to commute to irvine, since
davis doesn't have a cluster with game development.

as for the pay, yeah, it pays very well.   pays more than teaching a
summer college course!   :)

it's too bad the game thing is in irvine.  with your experience, i'm
pretty sure if you contacted the professor, you'd be able to score a
teaching assistantship.

pete