[vox] XMMS - A rant about usability

Bill Kendrick vox@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 16:52:25 -0800

Ok, I'm just going to rant for a moment to get it off my chest.

Why do people design software like XMMS to act the way it does?
Why does it have to look and act different than the rest of my applications?

An example:  I just popped up the Playlist Editor window.  I have far more
tracks loaded (not many, actually) than can be displayed at once, so I need
to scroll up and down.

I went to grab the bottom of the window (like I can with all other windows
under KDE 2.2) and stretch it down.  But no...  I can't.  Hell, the window
doesn't even appear in my taskbar!  No way to maximize it, or even minimize it!

All it's got are "^" (window-shade) and "x" (close) widgets. >:^(

I could fit literally three playlist windows on top of each other
vertically, but no... since it has to look cool and shiny and weird,
I don't get that useful usability.

All I get is a really tiny cool looking window with fuzzy, hard-to-read
buttons.  And a scrollbar.  :^)

*sigh*

Can anyone recommend another player that's media-wise as functional as XMMS,
but usability wise as functional as, oh, I dunno... at least a frickin' Xterm?
:^)

Thanks!