[vox] Looking at Laptops

Tom vox@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 21:42:51 -0800 (PST)

My 2 cents with change coming:

Under $2500 is easy.  My friend just bought a Compaq with an AMD 1800 / 40
gig drive / 512 RAM / Radeon Mobility for just under $1500.  Sadly he won't
be running Linux on it (yet).

I'm typing this on a Dell Inspiron 8100 I stole (read: borrowed) from work.
 It dual boots Windows XP and RedHat 8.0.  I had a little trouble with X,
but NVidia's drivers worked well enough.  It's a Pentium 3 1.13 Ghz / 256
RAM / 20 gig drive / GeForce 2 Go. $1500 these days?

My friend Justin bought one of the new Sony Vaio's ($2000?) and has had
some luck with Debian on it even though everything is ACPI and Firewire
(CDROM) on it.

-Tom