[vox] OT: "The Net" and "Swordfish" <- Reference to Linus Torvalds?

Nicole the Wonder Nerd vox@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 2 Mar 2003 20:04:41 -0800

Up spake ME on Sat, Mar 01, 2003 at 04:31:52PM -0800:
> First, in many movies, they purposefully use invalid IP address,
> hostnames, e-mail addresses etc. for on-screen representations of network
> activity. Throughout most of "The Net" this was also the case. However, I

Yeah; they seem to use the 10.x.x.x (private, IIRC, though I don't know why a
whole class A is private in this day of IP shortages) or 192.168.x.x (private
class Bs don't rouse my ire nearly as much) as a handy IP equivalent of the
555 exchange in phone-land.

The only movie that *I* can think of (I don't get out much) is Anti-trust; I
went to see it with some geek friends when it came out.  The movie itself is
ridiculous, boasting one of the flimsiest plots I've ever seen and a plot hole
so gaping that even I spotted it.  But it was full of nice touches, courtesy
of the actual geeks they got to be technical consultants.  So, among other
things:
1. The hero's best friend sports a ThinkGeek T-shirt
2. The hackers that Microsoft is spying on include Miguel de Icaza and some
guy wearing a red fedora
and, my personal favorite,
3. Microsoft runs Linux, complete with Gnome.  :)  Gotta love it.

--nicole twn

***
If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants have stood on my
shoulders.
Visit www.nicolopolis.com ... digital nonsense for a weary world.