[vox] Geek Swap (Yard Sale; whatever :) )

Bill Kendrick vox@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 27 Jun 2003 23:47:49 -0700

(I'm beginning to like the name "Geek Swap" or "Geek Swap Meet" :^) )

Anyway, some brief status.  I know Pete wanted to talk about this more
on a public list:

  * Date:
    Still up in the air.  Seems people are gravitating to weekend after
    EFF talk, so July 26th/27th.  Speak up now if you have other prefs.
    (I think Mark Kim said Sun 27th is out.)

  * Venue:
    I asked Jim and Joel from Z-world if we could use their parking lot.
    Jim said he'd check.  That's the last I've heard... I've pinged a few
    times (including about 11am this morning).

    I called the Library.  We can't use the Blanchard room.
    We can't hold an event where people sell stuff.
    (Pete has suggested that if all proceeds go to LUGOD, that might make
    it better, but I doubt it.)

  * Proceeds breakdown:
    The idea is to make this a fundraiser for LUGOD, and collect some
    donations for EFF for good measure.  I'd like to hear how people
    (both potential sellers, and potential buyers) think the proceeds
    should be broken down.

    Would 25% going to LUGOD/EFF be too much?  Too little?
    Should it be variable?  (Up to the seller?  Up to the buyer?)

  * Other group involvement
    I contacted SacLUG, RoseLUG and the CS Club at UC Davis.

    Brian from SacLUG said he's not personally interested, but offered to
    forward my blurb to SacLUG's mailing list.  I told him I'd just post
    something once it's all ironed out.

    I don't believe Verbus from RoseLUG ever replied yet...

    The only thing I've heard back from the CS Club was a response from
    Seth Nagao (who's also a LUGOD member, and is the CS Club's liason to
    LUGOD).  I'm beginning to think since it's summer, CS Club won't be
    involved.  (I'll of course post to ucd.cs.club and other ucd.* newsgroups,
    but I don't think anything will get up onto the CS Club's website
    (esp. since it hasn't been updated for ~8 months as it is!), nor posted
    to whatever mailing list(s) they have. :^( )

All of this stuff is pretty important to get this thing put together.
And if we want to do it the weekend after the EFF talk, that means
we have UNDER A MONTH to decide _AND_ to advertise it!!!