[vox] Re: wiki recommendations

Sam Peterson vox@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 27 Jun 2003 15:02:05 -0700

On Friday, Jun 27 2003, Peter Jay Salzman spake thus:
> hi hans,
>
> i also thought of zope.  i know the people who use it are real big
> fans of it.  zope has a really impressively loyal following.
>
> i glossed over it because i don't know a lick of python except how to
> delineate code blocks with tabbing.   :)   it's always good to know the
> language that the app was written in.  certain things about the vox-*
> mailman lists would've been much easier had i known python....

May I recommend Plone?  It uses Zope and the CMF and doesn't require a
lick of Python coding.

To be honest, I never liked Zope until Plone and I'm a Python fanboy.
Zope by itself is a framework for building dynamic websites in an
object oriented way on top of an OODB.  It's practically it's own
programming language for writing web apps.  I found programming with
it to be too complicated and went back to PHP for a while.

Plone, on the otherhand, is a full fledged, ready to go application
built on top of Zope and the CMF that specifically doesn't require any
coding.  It has a workflow model to it, where users create content,
submit content to reviewers, who finally approve and publish content.

It's very easy to use out of the box and scales well.  It's feature
set is outstanding.  It takes care of all complex Javascript and user
interface design.  There's even a Wiki component you can install that
will let you deploy multiple Wiki's in different locations around your
web page related to different subjects and it's all point and click.
Everything can be managed on the web site through its web interface
and it comes with its own online search.  It's designed from the
ground up to delegate management of document compositions and content
creation.

There's a slight learning curve in the beginning, but it's all gravy
after that.

The only thing I might say against Plone is that it might be a little
too featurful or bureaucratic for something simple, or a site with a
minimum of users (1-5).  It's ideal application is online editorials.

| sam -- Programmer I                                                |
| University of California, Davis : Hart Interdisciplinary Programs  |
| GPG Fingerprint: 4F08 E33E 92A2 EA88 CE75  75DC D84C 6046 0240 515F|