[vox] [fwd] SVLUG Jul 02: David Bryson: Strong Cryptography in the Linux Kernel

Bill Kendrick vox@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 16:24:33 -0700

SVLUG in San Jose meets the day after the next LUGOD meeting,
which comes out as Wed. July 2nd.

-bill!

----- Forwarded message from speakers@lists.svlug.org -----

Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 10:12:30 -0700
From: speakers@lists.svlug.org
Subject: [svlug-announce] SVLUG Jul 02: David Bryson: Strong Cryptography in
	the Linux Kernel
To: svlug-announce@lists.svlug.org

We're pleased to announce the next meeting of the Silicon Valley Linux
Users Group!

WHAT:

  Strong Cryptography in the Linux Kernel

WHEN:

  Wednesday, 02 Jul, 7pm-9pm or so.

WHO:

  David Bryson, Embedded Linux Engineer

BACKGROUND:

  In 2.5, strong cryptography was incorporated into the kernel.  This
  inclusion was a result of several motivating factors: remove
  duplicated code, harmonize IPv6/IPSec, and the usual
  crypto-paranoia.  This talk will cover the history of the
  Cryptographic API, its current state, what kernel facilities are
  currently using it, which ones should be using it, plus future
  applications including: hardware and assembly cryptography drivers,
  hardware random number generation, and filesystem encryption.

ABOUT THE SPEAKER:

  David is a Bay Area native and a Linux user since kernel
  2.0.32(1998).  He has written documentation and contributed code to
  the 'International Kernel Patch'(also known as CryptoAPI) as well as
  a widely used HOWTO 'The Linux CryptoAPI: A Users Perspective.'
  David has also spoken at several academic and technical conferences
  about cryptography on Linux.  Currently he works as an embedded
  Linux engineer in the Bay Area while writing drivers for the 2.5
  kernel Cryptographic API.

WHERE:

Cisco Building 9.  The land of NUMBERS.  The VINEYARDS conference
center.  The side we are on is the Silver Oak/Jordan conference rooms,
where a large Cisco fountain is usually not turned on.  Directions on
how to get there are listed at:

        http://www.svlug.org/directions/cisco-9.shtml

We've tried our very best for these directions to be accurate.  If you
have any improvements to make, please let our Web Team know!
web-team@svlug.org

NOTES:

It's best if you arrive close to on time, as otherwise there may not
be someone posted at the door to let you in.  After the speakers end
their presentation there is usually a Q&A session, time for job
seekers and employers to meet, and often a few door prizes.  When the
meeting is over people are encouraged to chat a bit, but also to exit
the building so Cisco can lock up.  Don't worry, a lot of us go to
dinner afterward so there's plenty of time to chat outdoors or
offsite.

We look forward to seeing you there!

----- End forwarded message -----

-bill!