[vox] spam control: send email to confirm

Micah J. Cowan vox@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 12:45:29 -0700

On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 11:58:14AM -0700, Rod Roark wrote:
> Well, what it should do is require a reply that only a
> human could easily produce.  For example ask them to
> reply with a word depicted in a graphic image.

I understand that this is an extremely common practice on the web, but
I've always had a mild disataste for it, because it excludes the
visually impaired (blind, nearly-blind and color-blind). The web is
already way too inaccessible compared to what it could and should be
(if people just followed the freakin' standards).

But I do agree that this sort of spam defense is very likely to be
countered in the near future.

-Micah