[vox] Mandrake vs. SuSe?

karthikeyan.balasubramanian vox@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 11:00:49 +0530

Hi,

> I have only used RedHat, so I can't comment on Mandrake vs. SuSe.  I
> have a comment about using KDE with RedHat, though.  By default, I agree
> that RedHat is not KDE friendly.  However, by simply having the lines
>
> DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"
> DESKTOP="KDE"
>
> in the file "/etc/sysconfig/desktop" will make kdm the login manager
> (rather than gdm) and KDE the default windows manager (rather than
> Gnome).  This will also give you a logout/shutdown/reboot menu when you
> choose "logout" from the Kmenu (no root password required).  All
> cosmetic changes (e.g. changing the Kmenu icon to something other than
> the "red hat") can be done from KDE's "control center".

Hmm Interesting.  I use Redhat 9.0 and You dont have to do any configuration
like the one you mentioned to make KDE as your default desktop manager.
Just choose
which type of Desktop Manager you want and it will ask you whether you want
to make this as your default one (say "Yes") and bingo that will become your
default
desktop manager.  I repeat i havent done any conf changes.  It does all by
itself.
May be you guys using older version of Redhat.  I m quite interested in what
version
of Redhat you guys have.

Just sharing my thoughts guys :).

> Jonathan