[vox] Mandrake vs. SuSe?

Matthew Johnson vox@lists.lugod.org
13 Jun 2003 09:23:35 -0700

On Fri, 2003-06-13 at 09:08, Robert G. Scofield wrote:
> I switched from Red Hat to Mandrake a couple of years ago and I really like
> Mandrake.  I use Linux like most people use Windows.  So I don't do anything
> complicated with computers, and therefore haven't had the need to learn much.
> Recently, however, I've gotten into a little problem with Mandrake over an
> order and I'm thinking about switching to SuSe.

Been using SuSE here for quite awhile, but have used Red Hat and
Mandrake with a dabbling in others. SuSE comes with a great utility
called Yast that is certainly newbie friendly. Also, if you get the
professional version you would get a whole bunch of manuals as well as
lots of software already included.

> So does anyone have any thoughts about which is the better distro, especially
> from the point of view of a defacto newbie.

Well plenty of newbies do use it.

> Here's an example of the types of things I'm interested in.  I subscribe to
> the kde-linux listserve and it seems that a lot of the traffic has to do with
> Red Hat users that can't get KDE working properly.  I want a KDE-friendly
> distro.

SuSE's default desktop is KDE. Add in quite a few KDE developers work
for SuSE.

> Here's another example.  Mandrake comes configured for the desktop user so I
> don't have to log in as root and type /sbin in order to shut down like I have
> to do with my Red Hat distro.  I don't want to bother with re-configuring Red
> Hat.

When you go to logout from KDE on SuSE it gives an option to shutdown.
Only time I have been asked for a root password on shutdown is when I
ran shutdown from the terminal.

I do highly recommend asking the same question on the SuSE mailing list,
it is high traffic, but quite a few people there have made switches from
various distro's.

Suse-linux-e is the one to ask to. Although SuSE has certainly been made
for ease of use and administartion (one can still get down to the nitty
gritty if they want, nothing is hidden).