[vox] [Fwd [Lawrence Lessig]] Reclaim the Public Domain

Peter Jay Salzman vox@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 09:19:29 -0700

On Wed 04 Jun 03,  9:08 AM, Micah J. Cowan <micah@cowan.name> said:
> On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 04:27:23PM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:

micah,

lessig is a pretty well known public figure (activist/lawyer), on par
with larry rosen and mad-dog.  he specializes in copyright and patent
law with an emphasis on its application to the electronic issues,
including the internet.

the petition thing was not done well:

but i don't think he /wants/ a legal document.  i think he simply wants to
show <someone> the constituency of people that share his views about
public domain.  sort of analagous to all those petitions saying "we want
you to port <game> to linux" being sent to game developers.  the
petition for porting half-life to mac or linux isn't binding on the
people who run valve; it's just to say "hey, we all want you to port
half-life to linux".

just for my own education -- when you say "legal document" do you mean
something that can place an issue on a ballot?  because i'm not sure
that's his goal.  i don't think you can petition the federal government
to place something on a national ballot (which is where this kind of
issue would go).

i'm not very knowledgable about this or lessig's intentions.  these are
just my touchy-feely opinions.

pete