[vox] Gates on Linux & Sco

James McNeill vox@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 30 Jul 2003 16:25:19 +1000

> Hmmm.  I recall from Jeremy Allison's talk that MS seems tacitly OK with
> Samba.  (In fact, that MS engineers were glad to have a copy of the
> Samba docs...)

That's true. Tridge (*the* samba dude) is never hesitent to point out the
the samba team has more people working on the SMB protocol that MS does.
He's also quick to remind anyone who asks about the several (some very
serious) bugs that the samba team have found in the protocol, buy way of
their very thorough analysis. On one occasion the samba team found a packet
that would cold crash any windows SMB box that received it. They decided not
to emulate this particular part of the SMB protocol, but alerted MS to the
problem, witch was fixed in windows 2000 / ME.

so yes ... all up samba has been good for MS

jus sayin.

-James