[vox] Router v. Access Point

MB vox@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 09:08:09 -0700

Most access points are just that.  They have a wireless card or two, and
they have a ethernet port.  APs usually will not NAT, firewall, port
forward, etc. that a router will.  A lot of vendors sell an "access
point" that is really a router but I think that both terms have been
used in marketing to sell the same thing.

Most consumer access points have a lot of router functions built in.

Mark