stuff only / Re: [vox] wiki recommendations

R. Douglas Barbieri vox@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 17 Jul 2003 21:49:08 -0700

On Thursday 17 July 2003 12:03, Micah J. Cowan wrote:
> CC'd to Eric's personal box, in case he's been kicked before I got a
> chance to respond.
>
> Pete, I do think you're going a little overboard to expect that that
> particular personal mail be excluded from posting, as it had directly
> to do with the manner in which he posted; and his response was to
> correct the problem. It wouldn't make sense for him to do that without
> an explanation of why he corrected it; and including your message
> seems appropriate to me, considering there is no personal or
> confidential material in it.

You know, I'd like to come to Pete's defense on this one. It looked to me i=
n=20
his private message to Eric he was trying very hard to get be polite,=20
reasonable and discreet. I agree %100 with Pete on this one--post a small=20
exerpt at the very least with your URL. It's common courtesy, it's a list=20
rule and it's Pete's job to enforce the rules of the list. Call him anal, b=
ut=20
I just say he's being thorough and consistent, not sick and controlling.

> But Eric, your post below is completely uncalled-for; it is nothing
> but kick-bait, and I would not be in the least bit sympathetic with
> you should Pete decide that this is justification for your removal
> (but then I suppose you're expecting that). Not only is the text of
> your message inflammatory, but you've *completely* and deliberately
> ignored his request that you keep personal mail off the list, by
> posting a personal mail yet again. *And* apparently ignored the
> reply-to setting as well (no ribs about the list's reply-to munging,
> please). If I were Pete, I'd sure as hell kick you. Whether Pete's
> response seems appropriate or not, your counter-response is way, *way*
> out of line.

I agree. Eric could have easily written instead:
"It was pointed out to me that I forgot to include an exceprt as to what my=
=20
link was about. Here it is: *blah*"
See how much nicer that is? :-)

Eric did *not* need to include Pete's post verbatium. That was just plain r=
ude=20
and vindinctive. Please, folks, let's refrain from name calling and rude=20
treatment of each other. Need I even mention that this list is archived and=
 a=20
made available to international search engines? :-) Just remember that if=20
you're trying to find a job and your prospective employer searches for your=
=20
name on Google, your flames will come up.

> And Pete's point is valid: in public forums, it is *always* best to
> double-check with the author before posting a personal message, no
> matter how innocuous it may seem.
>
> -Micah

=2D --
R. Douglas Barbieri