[vox] MS and Homeland Security

Micah J. Cowan vox@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 17 Jul 2003 13:38:33 -0700

On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 01:24:36PM -0700, ME wrote:
> Linux makes remote administartion really work.

Tell me about it. I grew up in a Mac environment, and went on to learn
Windows (never enjoyed it nearly so much as the Macs), but when I used
Linux in a networked development environment, I cannot begin to tell
you the joy of being able to ssh into a development server, and just
pop open an Emacs session right on my screen. So simple! So easy! So
incredibly powerful!

I really don't understand why people are complaining about how
outdated and clunky X is. Some people still site slowness due to
comm. stuff. aren't there loads of extensions to the X protocols that
make this moot? And any issues in making it more intuitive to use
would seem to me to be window manager issues: several window managers
are quite successful at making X friendly, seems to me. I don't really
understand why people feel a need to replace X with something
(apparently) more windows-ish. If that happens, I'm very afraid that
remote admin will be a lot less enjoyable than it currently is, and
that the single-user experience won't really be any better than it
currently is with an intelligent X setup.

> Apple did Mac OS X all
> wrong. Following the MS way in requiring administration via GUI tools has
> hurt them.

The MS way? It was the Apple way before there was an MS way...

It is not the least little surprise to me (though I'm still
disappointed). Apple developers will keep on developing programs that
work more or less the way they were accustomed to in the pre-MOSX
days. Nobody but the "geeks" care about CLI and text-file-based
config, and the marketroids at the big development companies never
seem to care about them.

-Micah