[vox] Anyone have a spare Pentium II or thereabouts?

Marc Elliot Hall vox@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 30 Dec 2003 13:50:14 -0800

On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 01:40:03PM -0800, Bill Kendrick wrote:
<snippage>
> I've got an old Pentium 133 that I'm finally going to stop using, and
> was thinking of donating it to the shop so that people who don't have
> laptops.  But for 'modern' web browsing, even with a bare-minimum Linux
> install, that's going to be mighty frustrating.

Teach 'em to use lynx ;^)

> While that's still better than nothing, I figure I've seen so many PII/PIII
> machines 'needing a good home' fly by the LUG mailing lists over the past
> year or so, that it wouldn't be unreasonable to ask if anyone's got any
> spare they'd be willing to donate.

I'm kidding! Really! I actually have a spare PII-vintage machine I'd be
happy to donate to the cause of somebody else's foot-traffic-related profit.
Yes, it has been booted into both Debian and Mandrake to confirm hardware
compatibility. And, of course, you'd get to keep the below-referenced coffee
card :^) I should note, however, that I *don't* have a spare monitor,
keyboard, or mouse to contribute. Sorry :^(

> The owner can't offer much more than a coffee card (which she jokes _I'd_
> use up in a week), and she'd be perfectly willing to let us put out a sign
> advertising LUGOD and Linux/Open Source.
>
> I'd be willing to crack open my old notes on setting up KDE Kiosk framework
> to use Konqueror, or learn how to lock down Mozilla like was done (most
> excellently, I must say) on the machine running at the Co-Op.

You know how to reach me for pick-up/drop-off infos.

--
Marc Elliot Hall
P.O. Box 435