[vox] Microsoft interested in our feelings

Tim Riley vox@lists.lugod.org
19 Dec 2003 08:11:56 -0800

On Fri, 2003-12-19 at 07:32, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> I received an email last night from one Michael Surkan from Microsoft
> (based on the mail headers, it looks legit; not some prankster ;^) )
>
> He wanted to know if it would be appropriate to post a note to our 'vox'
> list asking if folks here would be willing to talk about where they'd
> like to see MS go down the road... kind of a 5-year-plan, to paraphrase.
Kinda like GM allowing Ford to share their 5-year-plan? Which department
does Michael work? Engineering? Public Relations? Marketing?

> Anyway, I told him 'go for it,' so he'll no doubt be posting soon.
> I wanted to give a head's-up to the list before people start arguing over
> whether it's a hoax or prank or not.  The e-mail I got did, in fact,
> originate from *.microsoft.com.  Also, a Google for his name found a quote
> from him at CBS News' website, and posts on LUG mailing list archives.
>

> I'm quite curious as to what they're up to, and how much MS would actually
> listen to us techie geeks. :^)
I'm dubious regarding MS's intentions. Be on the lookout for rhetoric.
They have only one primary goal -- to maximize profits for their
shareholders. Moreover, their primary product -- Windows -- has one
very emerging competitor -- Linux.

But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Michael's intentions are to strengthen our
resolve that Linux is the best operating system to master.