[vox] RIAA-safe music

R. Douglas Barbieri vox@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 09:33:15 -0800

--=-1SWVDdZnjynC4+mwoocX

Here is a nice tool for finding out if an album or recording has been
released by a member of the RIAA:

http://magnetbox.com/riaa/

I am a classical music fan, and I have discovered a non-RIAA record
label--Naxos. They are able to bring a full CD to market at prices that
are reasonable. For example, I can get a recording of the Berlioz
Requiem from Amazon for $11.99, a two disc set. The equivalent RIAA
price would be more like $23.98.

They also let you listen to every track (from the album [at a low
bitrate, of course]) so you can determine if you like the recording. The
bad news is that they are using windows media.

Here's what I did to listen: I downloaded the .asx file (it's in XML
format). I grabbed the "http" ref entry, then used wget to download that
http link. I was able to play the .wm file using xine. :-)

--=20
R. Douglas Barbieri
doug@dooglio.net
http://www.dooglio.net