[vox] Ding How for 5th anniversary?

Bill Kendrick vox@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 16 Dec 2003 21:43:40 -0800

At last night's LUGOD meeting, Ryan Castellucci (I think) suggested we
go to Ding How restaurant for our 5th anniversary  (Monday, January 19th).

A number of people thought that was an excellent idea.  They have great food,
a large dining area in back, and are moderately priced.  (Noone showed any
objections.)

I just swung by (I work from the new little cafe right near them, in the
Albertsons shopping center), to make sure they'll be open, and let them
know we're thinking about it.

They have a capacity of 70 in the back room, and are fairly flexible
with payment.  Understandably, they wouldn't want us to get 50 separate
checks, and it sounds like if 50 people showed up, there'd be about 5
tables of people, so I think combining bills per-table makes the most sense.

They'd like us go give them an idea of how many people to expect at least a
week ahead of time.  So far as ordering goes, they probably won't want
to get them ALL in at once, but I think it'll be hard to try and get
them in separately, and spread out.

I think we're a patient group, so we can wait a while longer for food,
if it takes them longer to prepare since we're such a big group.

So firstly, does anyone have any major objections to Ding How?
I'm fairly set on it... it's my favorite Chinese restaurant in Davis.
(They even have a completely separate, and large, vegetarian menu!)

To give you an idea of prices, here's a few randomly-picked items:

  2 egg rolls            - $3.00
  12 fried won tons      - $3.00
  mu shu pork            - $6.95
  sweet & sour chicken   - $6.25
  kung pao beef          - $6.95
  wok fried string bean  - $5.00
  chow mein / fried rice - $5.50
  vegetable " / "        - $4.75

They have family style dinners for $8.00 to $10.00 per person.

Secondly, are people alright with paying on a per-table basis?
(e.g., be sure to bring cash, and then pile it up with ~9 other people)

Finally, I've got to figure out a good way to figure out just how many
people are going to show up...  I DO kind of want to advertise this
event generally (like we did for last year's anniversary), but that could
cause problems in estimating attendance.

Any ideas? :)

-bill!